You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. ~Unknown
It’s no secret I adore lists. I try, y’all. I do. I can’t seem to help myself, though, so here is one more. As I share my rules for life, I would truly love to hear yours.
- Forgive. People are going to hurt you, lie about you, cheat you. Forgive quickly and move on. YOU will be happier.
- Celebrate the success of others. If you’re spending your time being envious or comparing your life to someone else’s you’re wasting your time and losing your joy.
- Do things you fear, but don’t allow anyone push you into something.
- Love. Love matters most. Love God. Love yourself. Love your people. Look for things to love in your routines, job, daily commute.
- God. Spouse. Children. Family. Work. Keep your priorities in line.
- You really do have time for what matters.
- Find a hobby you can lose yourself in. It’s great therapy and better for you than numbing out with food, drugs, or alcohol.
- Practice gratitude.
- Being kind, treating others with kindness and dignity…well, that may matter more than anything else.
- Build routines to make life flow smoothly (regular bedtime, exercise schedule, lay your clothes out the night before), but don’t be afraid to deviate.
- Understand that you are responsible for your happiness. Everyone has bad stuff. Choose how you deal with the bad stuff.
- Your words have tremendous power. Grasp this and you’ve latched on to an eternal truth.
- When you find people who comfort and encourage you in tough times, spur you on in times of growth, and truly, joyfully celebrate your triumphs…hold on to these friends forever. They’re rare. They’re precious. They’re worth more than gold. And, y’all…these are your people.
- Express your appreciation. You have people in your life that you love, count on, appreciate. Make sure they know if. Hubby and I make it a point to thank each other multiple times daily for “silly” things like taking out the trash, folding the laundry, or making the coffee.
- Fight to keep your peace and joy. Don’t let others rob you of them.
- Write thank you notes.
- Sit in silence for a few minutes at least once a day.
- Laugh. Be silly. Have fun!
- Spend time in The Word.
- Reply. If someone texts, calls, writes, or emails they deserve a reply.
- Less is more. This seems to be true for words, jewelry, makeup, and sharing opinions.
- Simplifying is hard, but worth it.
- Seek understanding.
- Try to bless someone at least once a day.
- Observe the Sabbath.
Obviously, this isn’t an exhaustive list. I’d love to hear your thoughts, so please comment. As always, I wish you MUCH joy!
Got TWITTER? Tweet with me! @julielclarke
Enjoy INSTAGRAM? Me too! @julielclarke
Love PINTEREST? Who doesn’t? Find me! @jlbclarke
Use Facebook? Check out my page.