“In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”
1 Thessalonians 5:18 (KJV)
What a relief it was when I (finally!) understood this scripture didn’t say for all things, but in all things….. One word = big difference.
Years ago, I worked for a difficult boss. No one liked this guy. He was just a miserable human being. And it became hard to go to work. I struggled. We all did. I was putting myself through college and quitting wasn’t an option. A sermon on 1 Thessalonians 5:18 changed things for me. No, I wasn’t grateful for the boss, but I started to realize I was grateful for my coworkers, my paycheck, my personal life, for hope that he’d leave or improve (he left), for the bright, funny, and sweet moments. The more I “noticed” the happier I became. I stopped dreading going to work. And this process became part of me. Turns out, I am grateful today for that long ago lesson. In, not for. Oh, I’m human and I still go through rough patches and times of mumbling, grumbling, and complaining, but I’m getting better at this gratitude thing. In fact, it’s become a game of sorts to practice ridiculous, obsessive gratitude.
I’ve found when I intentionally express gratitude for the myriad blessings in my life I am happier, calmer, more efficient and productive, and even more blessings seem to come my way.
Start today. Start anywhere. Here are a few things I’ve done to kickstart my attitude of gratitude. You get the idea. Please share your tips!
- Notice the beauty in your daily commute. I have a specific route I take to work because of one beautiful street.
- Be still and notice the beauty of the day. Birds chirping, puffy clouds, snowflakes falling, flowers blooming, autumn leaves…there is beauty all around us.
- Notice the “take it for granted” stuff (home, health, family, comfy bed, spouse…).
- Start expressing gratitude to those around you. I love noticing, thanking, and praising others.
- Put on praise music and express your gratitude to The Lord. This is key for me.
As always, I wish you MUCH joy!
Got TWITTER? Tweet with me! @julielclarke
Enjoy INSTAGRAM? Me too! @julielclarke
Love PINTEREST? Who doesn’t? Find me! @jlbclarke
Use Facebook? Check out my page.