I just want to be happy. And so do you. One only has to look at the myriad books, articles, and blog posts to see we are desperately searching for happiness. Do you notice, though, that most people are unhappy?! I’m something of a joy junkie…I don’t have everything figured out, but I’ve gathered some tips that have helped me. Maybe you’ll find them helpful, too.
- Recognize it’s actually JOY you’re desiring instead of happiness. I believe happiness is fleeting. Joy, however, is deep and abiding. Joy isn’t dependent upon circumstances. Joy is above it all.
- Seek God. “You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” Psalms 16:11 (NKJV)
- Forgive and forget. Forgiving others is hard. It just is. Forgiveness, however, is not an option for God’s girls. And forgiveness (this is so like God!!) sets US free!! That’s amazing to me. “For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.”Matthew 6:14-15
- Do for others.
- Love without reservation, without conditions.
- Move. Get up, get moving. Walk, dance, run, garden…just move that body.
- Go outside.
- Turn the television off.
- Put the devices (phone, tablet…) down.
- Connect. Call a friend. Visit with a neighbor. Go see your parents. Human connection is essential to happiness and fulfillment.
- Be still. Just sit quietly. Breathe.
- Think about your thinking. “It isn’t what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about.”-Dale Carnegie
- Choose your words wisely. Oh y’all! This is one that really gets me. My mouth…. The Bible has a lot to say about our words. We (I!!) would be wise to choose words carefully.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. As always, I wish you MUCH joy in your journey.
Got TWITTER? Tweet with me! @julielclarke
Enjoy INSTAGRAM? Me too! @julielclarke
Love PINTEREST? Who doesn’t? Find me! @jlbclarke
Use Facebook? Check out my page.