“I can’t do this anymore.”
” I hate my life.”
“I just want to quit!”
“Life shouldn’t be this way.”
I’m hearing this from so many (too many!) sweet souls. You wouldn’t believe the numbers of prayer requests I’ve received lately. They’re coming from sweet women seeking God. These women are exhausted and empty. They need help. I get it. Boy, do I get it.
I have felt hopeless and empty. The world makes too many demands. I’ve had days where every step, every word was an effort. And I’ve had days where I spent every moment in bed.
I can’t handle my life. I cannot meet the myriad needs of my husband, family, friends, students, students’ families, coworkers, and bosses. I can’t. I can’t be a great wife. I can’t love my students and teach them, leading them to amazing levels. I can’t keep up with grading, reteaching, tutoring, extending lessons, conferencing with parents, teaming, and attending meetings. I can’t love and extend grace to family, friends, coworkers, and strangers. I can’t even keep a lovely home or keep up with birthdays, events, laundry, grocery shopping, and healthy, delicious (sly wink) meal planning. I can’t even quiet myself enough to listen to God.
Y’all, I can’t…and neither can you.
Life is too much. It’s too busy, too demanding, too overwhelming, but does it have to be that way? I don’t think so. Deep down you agree. If you’re anything like me (and many of you are), you’re wondering HOW to get a “better” life. Is winning the lottery the answer? Quitting your job? Leaving your marriage? Escaping into cyberspace, food, alcohol, etc?
The truth is we were never supposed to live this way. . . The truth is simple, but difficult. (Or it’s difficult for me.) This is something I’m praying about regularly, but here are my “today” tactics. I know I’ll post more about this. In fact I posted not too long ago and you can read it here.
- Accept this truth: God’s girls are overcomers. I know we don’t always feel like it, but we are. Emotions lie. Our enemy lies. God reigns and we are His. Be encouraged!
- You must put God first if you want victory. You must commit time daily to thank Him, praise Him, read His Word, pray (talk and listen). This is nonnegotiable.
- Believe. You must believe better days are coming. You must believe your Father loves you and will protect you, give you help, give you answers, lead you.
- Stop complaining. You must realize your words are incredibly powerful. Stop complaining. Stop gossiping. Stop muttering. And get away from others who complain and gossip. It’s poison.
- God is good. Period. Accept this truth. It’s encouraging and liberating.
- Understand who you are and who you aren’t. This one is powerful and deserves a separate post. You are not supposed to be THE SOURCE for anyone. You have a role and responsibility in every relationship, but you must also point to the TRUE SOURCE. If anyone or anything requires more and more and more you need to ask God for wisdom and help. You can’t be everything to another person. You can’t work 24/7. You can’t and you mustn’t.
- Grasp that His a Yoke is easy and His burden is light. If this is inconceivable you are doing something wrong. Ask Him to show you and to help you.
Y’all, I don’t have this down either. I’m still struggling, but I’m seeking Him. My Daddy knows me and has a unique battle plan for my battles. And He has one for yours, too.
“Come to me, all of you who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
“I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me;he freed me from all my fears. The oppressed look to him and are glad; they will never be disappointed.” Psalm 34:4-5
“Why am I so sad? Why am I so troubled? I will put my hope in God,and once again I will praise him,my savior and my God.” Psalm 43:5
“But those who trust in the Lord for help will find their strength renewed. They will rise on wings like eagles;they will run and not get weary; they will walk and not grow weak.” Isaiah 40:31
“Let your hope keep you joyful, be patient in your troubles, and pray at all times.” Romans 12:12
“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5 (emphasis/bold print all mine)
“When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.” Psalm 94:19
I’m committed to victory. I’d love your prayers and welcome your tips. As always, I wish you MUCH joy!
Prayer: Father, I’ve tried to do it all and I can’t. You know my heart, my dreams, my to-do lists, and my plans. I lay them all at Your feet. Help me. Help me to seek You first. Help me to focus on YOUR plans for my life, my day, my week. Lord, I can’t, but You can. With you, all things are possible. Teach me Your ways.
Got TWITTER? Tweet with me! @julielclarke
Enjoy INSTAGRAM? Me too! @julielclarke
Love PINTEREST? Who doesn’t? Find me! @jlbclarke
Use Facebook? Check out my page.