Hello! Can you believe our summer flew by so quickly? I’m so excited to meet your child and partner with you this year. I have so many hopes and dreams for our year. And, dear parents, I NEED you to know some things.
- I’m already in love with your child. Truly! The moment a name is on my list I fall in love. The decision is first. The emotion comes soon after.
- I will probably spend more time with your child than you will this year.
- I will push, nudge, encourage, and drag your child this year. I will do whatever it takes to help them progress and learn and grow. It matters!
- I will never forget your child. I will never not want to hear how he is. I will never stop loving them. Just ask any of my former students or parents.
- I want and need your prayers.
- I appreciate your kind texts and emails more than you’ll ever know.
- I will make mistakes. I try not to, but …. Please extend grace. I promise to return the favor. We are in this together, after all.
- I need your help. I need help with copying and laminating. I need someone to organize our parties. I need extra boxes of tissues. I need newspapers for those rare occasions we paint. I need you!
- You will “hear” me at home. A lot. You’ll hear my pet phrases and some of my lessons. You may even hear some of the voices I use when I read or act silly.
- Teacher/parent conferences make me a little nervous, too.
- I love sharing the good with you.
- I hate contacting you about anything negative. I will, but I hate it.
- I will protect your child.
- I will teach your child more than the curriculum. I will teach him we are all wonderfully imperfect with different gifts and flaws. I will teach him to say thank you to the cafeteria ladies, custodians, and all visitors. I will teach him to cough into his shoulder. I will teach him we all have bad days and we just do better the next day. I will teach him forgiveness is immediate, but actions have consequences. I will teach him being kind is incredibly important. I will teach him that it’s okay to make mistakes and fail. I will teach him to think deep and play to win.
- I am your ally, not your enemy. I truly want a partnership with you. And your child needs that to happen.
- I am in/on more meetings, trainings, committees, etc than you can imagine. I fill out more paperwork than anyone should have to. Ever. I plan lessons and grade papers for EVERY subject. I arrive early. I stay late. I work most weekends and holidays. I do this because teaching your child matters. Your child is worth it.
- I am fully aware that you are sharing an amazing gift with me this year. I will honor that gift every single day.
- Your child will amaze us this year. Based on my previous years, I can guarantee we will look at each other in May with tears in our eyes and deep satisfaction in our hearts. Sounds corny, but it’s true.
- Like your child, I’m sad summer is gone, but so very excited about the good ahead.
Sweet parents, it’s going to be a busy, crazy, silly, fun, amazing year of learning and growing. Here we go!
Fellow educators, I think I’m speaking for many of us here. I KNOW I’m speaking for many of the educators at my school. Please feel free to add your comments!! I’d love that.
As always, I wish you MUCH joy!
Got TWITTER? Tweet with me! @julielclarke
Enjoy INSTAGRAM? Me too! @julielclarke
Love PINTEREST? Who doesn’t? Find me! @jlbclarke
Follow me on Facebook.