I’ve been examining how I, as a Christ follower, should walk out my faith. (Please read my first and second posts.) I’d love to hear your thoughts and struggles. As I set my course, I’m asking myself more questions.
- What if I stopped complaining? Oh. My. Gosh. I have made gains in this area, but I still have soooo much progress to make. It seems many of us fall into a pattern of grumbling, of ingratitude. I’ve asked my husband a close friend to help me recognize when I stray. God’s girls can do better! Phillipians 2:15-15 NIV “Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe.”
- What if I treated others the way I want to be treated? This is so basic, BUT do I do this? Truthfully, I do…sometimes. I want to ALL of the time. Matthew 7:12 NLT “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.”
- What if I exercised self-control instead of letting my flesh call the shots? Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Food. Exercise. What I give my attention to. Emotions. This speaks to so many areas of my life. 1 Peter 5:8 “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around looking for someone to devour.” Proverbs 25:28 “Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self control.”
- Are my words kind, helpful, and encouraging? I don’t have to tell you how powerful words are. The old “sticks and stones” adage is baloney. Words hurt. Words can also heal. Proverbs 18:21 “Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.” Ephesians 4:29 “Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.” Proverbs 16:24 “Pleasant words [are as] an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.” Proverbs 15:1 “A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.” Matthew 12:37 “For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.” Proverbs 13:3 “He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: [but] he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.”
- What if I grasped the amazing gift and awesome weapon that is prayer? I LOVE to pray! I love leaning on my Father. He is so good! Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” 1 John 5:14 “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” Colossians 4:2 “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.” Jeremiah 29:12 “Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.” Mark 11:24 “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” Romans 12:12 “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” Psalm 145:18 “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” Matthew 18:20 “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
I so want others to know the unconditional love, peace, joy, protection, healing, and mercy that only God can give. If you don’t know Jesus as Savior and Lord, pray this prayer right now. If you’ve fallen away (Honey, we all have!) just tell Him. (Hint: He knows and He is madly in love with you.) Ask Him for forgiveness and ask Him for help. I can’t do much without Him and neither can you.
Won’t you join me in being The Church? As always, I wish you MUCH joy!
Got TWITTER? Tweet with me! @julielclarke
Enjoy INSTAGRAM? Me too! @julielclarke
Love PINTEREST? Who doesn’t? Find me! @jlbclarke
Use Facebook? Check out my page.